Győrújbarát is an ancestral town of the Toth family from Indianapolis, USA. Our ancestor, József Tóth, was born in Győrújbarát in November 1874, and immigrated to the United States of America in April of 1900.
Győrújbarát (alternate names: Kisbarat, Kisbarát, Nagybarat, Nagybarát) is a village in Győr-Moson-Sopron County, Hungary, with a population of approximately 6000 residents.
The village of Győrújbarát is located halfway between Vienna, Austria and Budapest, Hungary, approximately 1.8 miles south of the exit 119 of the M1 (Budapest-Vienna) motorway, and 3.7 miles south of the city of Győr. Distance to Budapest: 76 miles. Distance to Vienna: 80 miles.
Győr-Moson-Sopron is the name of an administrative county (comitatus or megye) in northwestern Hungary, on the border with Slovakia and Austria. It shares borders with the Hungarian counties Komárom-Esztergom, Veszprém and Vas. The capital of Győr-Moson-Sopron county is Győr. The county is a part of the Centrope Project.
Győrújbarát is an appealing habitat, tourist destination, important part of the wine-growing area of Pannonhalma. It is situated at the meeting point of the flat area of the Kisapföld and the last hills of the Bakony at the hills of Pannonhalma.
The village of Nagybaráthegy south of Győr in 1873
The village, which has been inhabited since the Neolithic age, was first mentioned in documents around 1200 as the place of living of the royal courtiers. Half a century later King Béla IV endowed a vineyard and vine-growers on the provotship of Túróci in Barátsukoró. The close connection to Győr and the vine culture are determining features in the history of the village.
The first documents are about only one village called Baráti, but later in the 14th century they mention two villages: Kisbaráti and Nagybaráti. Moreover, a third village appeared near the settlement, called Zuthor, which is sometimes called Baráti.
Later as a result of the establishement of new vineyards in the mountains two villages were formed Kisbaráthegy (also Kis-Baráthegy, Kis-Barátihegy) and Nagybaráthegy (also Nagy-Baráthegy, Nagy-Barátihegy). This four-centred structure existed for centuries and can be seen on the features of the today village.
The structure of estates could have also played an important role in it, since the landowners of Nagybarátfalu were mainly churches: the provotship of Túróc, the Abbey of Pannonhalma and the Premonstratensian Order of Csorna. In Kisbarátfalu the great landlords cultivated the land, mostly the Héderváry family and the heirs. The vineyards in the mountains were in the possession of numerous families of Győr and of other parts of the country.
Győr, as an important fortress town was the target of attacks and because of this the neighbouring Baráti also suffered a lot. It was devastated by the Tartars and theTurks and the inhabitants were resettled several times.
The four parts were united in several steps and got the name Győrújbarát in 1969 when Kisbarát and Nagybarát united.
The new coat-of-arms of the village was created in 1991 by using all four seals. They took the bunch of grapes present on all of them, the lions from the seal of Nagybaráthegy, and the pruning knife of present on the seal of Kisbarátfalu and Nagybarátfalu as well: rounded base symmetric dick escutcheon, a leafed ear of wheat on the base; above it lions langued and clawed facing each other, holding a bunch of grapes and a vine tendril. Above the vine tendril a pruning knife couped. On top of the shield a helmet barred adorned with a mantling. Issuing from the three-leafed coronet a lion is borne holding an ear of wheat in its paw.
Coat-of-arms of the village of Győrújbarát